Monday, November 16, 2015

LISA HARTMAN - 'Til My Heart Stops (1988)

LISA HARTMAN - 'Til My Heart Stops (1988) front
"Til My Heart Stops" by LISA HARTMAN is one of the best (if not the Best) produced records in 1988 speaking about female fronted AOR. Call it rock&pop, lite AOR, melodic synth rock, but definitively this is '80s AOR flavored, really modern production-wise and still sounds superb today.
The distinctive and good thing about this album are the upfront guitars in the mix. And of course, Lisa's smooth vocals that reminds me Patty Smyth (Scandal). We can hear as well similarities to Robin Beck, Liza Nemzo and why not, Heart.
Brilliantly produced by not other than Bill Wray (check his solo album posted on the blog), " ’Til My Heart Stops" has a punchy and crisp sound.

The opening keyboard lines of the first track "Tempt Me (If You Want To)" are to die for. This is pure Eighties. You only can get a song like this on an album recorded in that era. The guitars (courtesy of master Michael Landau) are from outer space. Also the killer chorus and powerful vocal delivery by Lisa.
"I Don't Need Love" is a terrific commercial midtempo followed by the radiable "Ooh, I'm Satisfied". Then another gem; "I Can't Get You Out Of My System" with its increscendo magical AOR vibe with extra-compressed drums.
Quirky keyboards ornament the melody of "Tender Kiss", a track with a monster rhythm guitar work and one of the most seasoned performances by Hartman.

"The Dress" is another winner: a charming soft melodic rocker penned by cult AORster James House.
"How Many Rivers" is slow and climatic. Here Lisa sounds like Luba, that's not a surprise because this song is written by her together with Bill Wray. I love the bridge before the short guitar solo.
"Imagination" is the only track that sounds pretty retro, circa 1983. Synth bass and programmed drums on a 'Flashdance' style tune. Then title track "'Til My Heart Stops Beating" is 'one of those' ballads. Really good vocals and arrangements ready for FM stations.

LISA HARTMAN - 'Til My Heart Stops (1988) back

"Til My Heart Stops" is a pretty unknown album for many AOR fans perhaps due Hartman's pop origins. It's full of great tunes, strong vocals and superb musicianship (check personnel below). It's a perfect product of its time.
This is unfortunately Lisa Hartman last recording before she got married and decided to quit the business.
But what a great one it is.


1 - Tempt Me (If You Want To)
2 - I Don't Need Love
3 - Ooh, I'm Satisfied
4 - I Can't Get You Out Of My System
5 - Tender Kiss
6 - The Dress
7 - How Many Rivers
8 - Imagination
9 - 'Till My Heart Stops Beating

Lisa Hartman - Lead & Background Vocals
Michael Landau - Guitars
Trevor Rabin - Acoustic Guitar Solo (2)
Waddy Wachtel - Guitar (6, 7); Guitar Solo (6)
Larry Klein - Bass, Keyboards, Fairlight
Phil Brown - Bass, Guitar, Background Vocals
Steve Goldstein - Linn Programming, Keyboards, Bass
Mick Guzauski, Manu Katche - Percussion
Craig Krampf - Drum over-dubs
Kevin Raleigh - Background Vocals (4)
Timothy Schmidt - Background Vocals (8)
The Waters - Background Vocals (7)
Bill Wray - Producer, Background vocals (5, 7)




LISA HARTMAN - 'Til My Heart Stops 1988
.

5 Comments:

Tomovic said...

Great indeed. thanks Camel . Tomovic

Thomas Turbato said...

Hi Camel it is odd. Back sleeve of CD and disc says in effect 1988 but US vinyl LP says 1987 on the backs sleeve and disc. Discogs says 1988 for everyformat, Allmusic and Wikipedia 1987. I find it hard to think one format released first, then another the following year. where's the mistake? ;o)

Camelblue said...

It was officially released on LP / Cassette in 1987. Depending on the press of each format, dates vary.

Unknown said...

any chance for a reup?

michrzan said...

Please, would you like to upload the album again? Thanks and greetings from Poland. Michał.